Monday, February 16, 2009

Putting this All in Context

My brain is full of ideas today! However I have some sense of urgency to move this project along so I've decided on a new approach. I'm going to simply share some of our photos from the most recent trip topically rather than chronologically. That way, you'll see them sooner and I'll be off to learn new stuff sooner!

So I left you last night after our first day of landings. The whole idea of this trip was to have a real "expedition" into Antarctica, not just a "drive by". The clothes we wore (see previous post) were waterproof and layered as you would for a cold day of skiing. Disembarking the zodiacs required those boots called "Wellingtons" - adoringly referred to as "Wellies" by all who use them. Not kidding, I mean adoringly! Not only are they just incredibly stylish (NOT!), they DO keep you dry when wading through the surf to get to shore. And best of all, they are "guano proof" and clean easily using the "guano-matic"! (Yes I have a pic of this!)

It was truly an amazing trip. I was stretched far beyond my comfort zone - mostly because of my tendency towards motion sickness. However, I must say that it was worth every second of it. I have now seen, heard and smelled things you can't even imagine! Not only that, we learned what pure, unadulterated wilderness looks like, how incredibly knit together this entire planet is, and best of all, we've had another lesson in just how awesome God is!

I'll get to work on the next posting to share some of this beauty! Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun blog!!! I love that we are getting to be a part of your lives even though we live so far a part. This will be lots of fun for us in the southernly states : )

    Keep the pictures coming!

    Laura and John Arnold

    ReplyDelete